Symantec plans to begin accepting applications for the 2012 Fellowship in July 2011. Award decisions will be made in February 2012.
– Symantec will award Symantec Research Labs Graduate Fellowships to outstanding Ph.D. and M.S. students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value, in areas of Symantec’s business interests in information security, availability, and integrity.
– Fellowship participants also gain first hand research and development experience through guidance and mentorship from a top scientist of Symantec Research Labs during the fellowship period. Each participant is also encouraged to spend a summer working with their mentor at Symantec on a research project in their area of interest.
- Applying students must attend a U.S. or European university in a Ph.D. or Master’s program focused on technology research. Exceptional graduating undergraduate seniors may also apply and final award is contingent on their acceptance to a graduate program.
- Preference will be given to students with a desire to work in an industrial research lab and those working on research projects likely to have real-world practical value to customers, in areas related to Symantec’s businesses of information security, availability, and integrity.
- Recipients will also be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence and their academic progress to-date as evidenced by publications.
- The scholarship awards will be made through the university and are not transferable to another academic institution.
Required Application Information
Applications should be submitted as a single compressed file (.zip file) and must include the following:
- A completed fellowship application form including a personal statement of research interests not to exceed 500 words. Applicants are strongly encouraged to articulate the practical value to customers of their proposed research areas.
- A C.V. and thesis proposal (optional).
- Three letters of recommendation from professors or industry researchers who can evaluate the applicant’s scientific aptitude and potential for research (may be sent confidentially, please see application form for instructions).
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered and we cannot guarantee notification of incompleteness. Please make sure applications are complete.
Application Dates and Process
- Fellowship applications will be accepted beginning July 2011.
- Complete applications, including all recommendation letters, must be received no later than January 9, 2012, 8.00am (Pacific time)”.
- As part of the application process, some candidates may be contacted for telephone interviews.
- The final award decisions will be announced in February 2012.